Serves 3-4, ~5 cups
2 Tbs. unsalted butter ½ tsp sugar
1 lb. ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped 3 Tbs. chopped onion
1 Tbs. chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, tarragon, mint or basil
3 cups chicken stock or canned chicken stock (I use vegetable stock)
2 Tbs. heavy cream (optional, I use fat free half and half)
Melt the butter in a heavy 3 quart, non reactive saucepan over low heat and cook the onion until softened, about 3 mins.. Add the tomatoes, herbs, sugar and salt (omit if using canned stock) and pepper to taste and simmer, covered, for 8 minutes.
Add the stock and simmer the soup for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Stir in the cream.
Myrtle Allen notes: Ripeness is everything in a good tomato soup or puree. Use dark red fruit, can even be a little overripe.
Cheryl notes: I like to make a tomato puree by cooking the ripe tomatoes and putting
them through a sieve (removes the seeds and skins). I freeze the puree if I’m not using
it right away and then substitute it for the tomatoes in this recipe. I think the soup is a
real treat as I love tomatoes, but it is especially nice during the cold, weather when there
is not a ripe tomato in sight!
submitted by Cheryl Rowell; from Myrtle Allen’s Cooking at Ballymaloe House
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment